Stimulating the Body’s Natural Healing Response
Ligaments and tendons can often times become compromised from sports injuries, trauma, aging and every day wear and tear, which later turns into nagging joint pain. Prolotherapy involves injections of irritant solution (most often Dextrose) into ligaments and tendons supporting affected joints. This causes a local, controlled inflammation in these weakened areas, which leads to an increase in blood supply and flow of nutrients, growth factors and mediators; effectively stimulating the tissue into repairing itself.
Prolotherapy gained its name because it causes proliferation: growth and formation of new collagen fibers. Weak ligaments and tendons lead to joint instability, which leads to pain and loss of function. Prolotherapy treatments strengthen these weakened areas, leading to improved joint and muscle function with significantly less pain.
Because many people tend to view inflammation as negative, it may seem counter-intuitive to stimulate an inflammatory response. But inflammation is actually a major part in your body’s healing response! Inflammation is like a nutrient highway to the damaged areas. The case many long-term injuries is that the healing process was never completed, leaving behind scarred tissue. By stimulating inflammation in the area of the injury, you’re actually re-starting the healing process!
Prolotherapy is a safe, non-invasive, drug-free and affordable treatment for those requiring chronic pain medication, cortisone or other steroid shots, or even surgery. Typically 2-8 sessions are needed to help you reach maximum relief. Each session includes multiple injections to the affected area. The amount of sessions needed depends on the extent of your injury.
Prolotherapy/Neural Prolotherapy Pre-Procedure Guidelines
Please read the below instructions carefully.
• Discontinue Anti-Inflammatory medication (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Aspirin) at least 3-4 days before your procedure.
• Discontinue any blood thinners or any herbs, supplements or vitamins 1-2 weeks before your procedure.
• Discontinue Systemic Steroids (Prednisone, Hydrocortisone, etc.) 1-2 weeks before your procedure. Steroid Injections (cortisone) should be discontinued at least 1 month before your procedure.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to call our office at 248-876-4242.
Prolotherapy/Neural Prolotherapy Post Procedure Guidelines
Please read the following steps carefully.
0-3 Days Post Prolotherapy:
• It is recommended that the patient rest the day of the treatment. After the first day, patients can begin to return to normal physical activities.
• We strongly encourage you to use connective tissue support vitamins and/or cream. It is imperative that you take this as directed by the doctor; they will enhance the healing process.
• DO NOT apply ice to the affected joint(s).
• DO NOT TAKE anti-inflammatory medications such as; Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Aspirin, for at least 2 weeks after your procedure.
• DO NOT TAKE systemic steroids such as; Prednisone, Hydrocortisone, etc. for at least 2 weeks following your procedure.
• Do not consume alcoholic beverages for the first 7 days following your procedure.
• Avoid smoking. Smoking delays healing and can increase the risk of complications.
• Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily to help your heal properly.
• If you are experiencing pain, you can take Tylenol as needed.
3-7 Days Post Prolotherapy:
• At this point you should continue to increasing your daily activities.
• Increase tendon tolerance and your range of motion with the affected joint. If you are still experiencing pain, you can take Tylenol as needed.
• Continue to use the prescribed connective tissue support vitamins and/or cream to enhance healing.
• A follow up appointment and the next session of Prolotherapy must be scheduled for 7-10 days after your initial treatment.
If you have any questions, at any time after your procedure, you are welcome to call our office at 248-876-4242.